The architectural project envisages renovation and expansion of the historic Bocconi-Rizzoli-Carraro building, located in Corso Venezia 52, Milan, in the prestigious area that includes the Indro Montanelli Public Gardens of Porta Venezia and outstanding properties such as Palazzo Saporiti (1912), which houses the Civic Museum of Natural History, and the Planetarium, built in 1930 by the architect Piero Portaluppi.
Palazzo Bocconi-Rizzoli-Carraro was built in 1871 and has undergone many alterations over the years, from the modification of the main façade on Corso Venezia, through its recovery after the air raids of 1943 and so coming down to the 1960s, when the building was extensively transformed by the architect Ferdinando Reggiori, who undertook the variation of its outline and the reconstruction of the façade towards the internal garden, while the architect Filippo Perego designed the décor of the interiors.
The building currently comprises five floors above ground level, in addition to a basement level, has a rectangular plan with a total floor area of about 3,300 square meters.
This new space
by sinusoidal shapes
that create continuity
between the interior
and convey to visitors
a general sense
as they move
The architectural project involves three macro interventions.
The first is the conservation and restoration of the piano nobile, a “rediscovered home” designed to display art objects. The other floors of the building will house the offices, the study room, and the multi-purpose spaces that will contain the laboratories, conference room and spaces for temporary exhibitions, while the ticket office, bookshop area and cafeteria will be located on the ground floor.
The second part of the project involves the upgrading of the large garden at the rear of the building, an intervention developed in agreement with the Superintendence of Archaeology, Fine Arts and Landscape. It is a space concealed by the outer walls enclosing it on three sides, a private green area that will be open to the public and can be enjoyed without necessarily visiting the Museum.
The third concerns the expansion of the basement level of the building and the construction of the hypogeum museum that will house the collection of Etruscan vases and relics. This is the fulcrum of the design project, an architectural element of excellence devised in full connection with the palazzo project. This new space is characterised by sinusoidal shapes and convey to visitors a general sense of fluidity as they move through it. The stone used for the cladding is laid horizontally on stratified levels and, as an enduring material, natural and prized, it creates the background best suited to displaying works of art.
Year: 2016 – project underway
Surface area: 3,300 m2
Project: Mario Cucinella Architects
Systems Engineering: Manens – Tifs SpA
Structural Engineering: Milan Engineering Srl
Landscape Design: Greencure Marilena Baggio Landscape Designer
Fire Security: Gae Engineering Srl
Lighting Design: Piero Castiglioni
Acoustics consultancy: Biobyte